Recently, I finished reading a biography on a famous martial artist named Bruce Lee. The book was written by Rachel A. 518770Koestler-Grack. The story is about Bruce Lee’s entire life, from when he was born until he passed away. I would rate this book four out of five stars.

Jun Fan Lee was born on November 27, 1940 at Jackson Street Hospital in San Francisco. The doctor, Mary Glover, gave the baby the nickname “Bruce” which later stuck. When he was three months old, he was in his first movie, starring as a female baby. He also had his, or what he considered, first professional screen debut when he was six years old in the movie The Beginning of a Boy. In this movie, he meets his future best friend who was referred to as Unicorn. Bruce’s father was an actor, which got him into starring in many other movies throughout his childhood. He actually appeared in twenty different movies as a child actor. This would help him in the future in his acting career.

He moved to Hong Kong with his family when he was five months old. He was a very active child, always doing something energetic unless he was reading. He lived in a two bedroom flat in Kowloon City with sometimes twenty people crammed into it including extended family. To avoid the crowd, Bruce wandered the streets. He was a troublemaker; he skipped classes and instead became the leader of a small gang of kids. They would sometimes fight the British kids who went to King George V School. Bruce started thinking about how else he could fight or defend himself, since he was a small kid at the time. He wanted to train in kung fu. One of his friends, William Cheung, brought Bruce to Yip Man, who was a kung fu teacher at the time. Yip Man wanted to teach Bruce Lee because of his popularity in movies. Bruce was eager to learn and used everything Yip Man taught him. Bruce did this for a while and progressed quickly, too quickly. Bruce kept beating older students who became angry and complained to Yip Man. Some even threatened to leave the school. So, Bruce left on his own, but continued training with one of Yip Man’s senior students.

Bruce kept getting into trouble and did not stay in school. His parents thought moving would help him. So, on April 29, 1959, Bruce Lee started on his way to America. In America, Bruce decided to continue his education at the Edison Technical School in Seattle, Washington. A year later, he graduates and goes to the University of Washington. Bruce actually likes this school because he can take classes that will help him in kung fu, such as philosophy. During college, he opened up a Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute in Seattle in 1963.

Bruce attended college for three years but quit to establish another Jun Fan Gung Fu Institute in Oakland, California. In the same year, he married Linda Emery, one of his students. Six months after the marriage, they have a child named Brandon Bruce Lee on February 1, 1965. Seven days later, Bruce’s father dies. Bruce goes back to Hong Kong for the funeral. When he comes back, his family moves to Los Angeles. Bruce was offered a role in the TV series called The Green Hornet. He plays Kato, the Green Hornet’s sidekick. This earns him popularity. He even appears on an episode of Ironside, a TV series. He continues his TV and movie career by being the technical director for The Wrecking Crew, he films the first episode of Longstreet, started making a TV series for Warner Brothers called The Warrior, and he starts filming the movie The Big Boss in Thailand. He has a daughter named Shannon Emery Lee. After his second child, he starts filming Fist of Fury. When the movie comes out, it breaks records in Hong Kong. Lee then directs Way of the Dragon and starts filming Game of Deaths. During the filming of Game of Deaths, it was interrupted to start filming Enter the Dragon with Warner Brothers. While filming the movie, he collapses and doctors diagnosed him with cerebral edema.

On July 20, 1973, Bruce met with an actress named Betty Ting-pei to go over the script for a new movie. He complains that he has a headache and Betty fetches him some Equagesic, a super aspirin her doctor prescribed to her. At 7:30 that evening, he asks if he could lie down in the bedroom. When Bruce was supposed to have dinner with Raymond Chow, Betty tried waking up Bruce, but was unsuccessful. Betty then called Chow to come over immediately. Chow came over and tried to wake him up, but he also could not. They call for a doctor who tried for ten minutes to revive Bruce before he called for an ambulance. He was driven to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, but doctors were unable to revive him. He died that day from brain swelling and a reaction to his medication.

Five days later in Hong Kong, 30,000 mourners gathered on Maple Street outside the Kowloon Funeral Parlour. This was the largest funeral that Hong Kong has ever had. Bruce Lee had a second funeral ceremony held in Seattle. The second funeral was more private. Bruce Lee was buried in Seattle wearing his Chinese outfit he wore in Enter the Dragon.

Image Credits: