When I ask my students how they find out about books they would like to read, they tell me that the main way they discover new books is from other readers’ recommendations. A book commercial – a short testimonial sharing a book – promotes new books to readers and reinforces that reading matters.
Students will be invited to share brief commercials (1-2 minutes) during language arts class. We will start our commercials the second week of school. I will model some examples during our first week. Each student will be expected to share at least one book a month.
Use these questions to help you create your book commercial.
- What is the name and author of the book?
- What did you love about the book?
- What genre is the book?
- Is it a sequel or does it have a sequel?
- Tell about the author’s style of writing.
- Why should someone read this book?