I Wonder About Wonder

R.J.Palacio - home

We all read the book Wonder this summer.

·What do you think of the line ‘Don’t judge a boy by his face’ which appears on the back cover of the book?

·Did this affect how much you wanted to read the story?

·How much did this line give away about the story you were about to read?

How can you incorporate the first precept into your everyday life?

“When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.”   —Dr. Wayne Dyer

Share your answers to these questions.  There are no right or wrong answers, just write your thoughts down.  Feel free to add a post on your blog, or comment here.

This entry was posted in Book discussions. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to I Wonder About Wonder

1. Cayla C says:

Imagine that when you walk into a brand new school, everybody stares at you like you are a nasty, smelly, sock. Well, that’s what a boy named August had to go through about a half of his life so far. When I picked up this book, I thought to myself, what is it about? So I checked on the back. In the summary on the back of the book it says, “Don’t judge a boy by his face.” I thought to myself, did he have this look on him that was deformed or what? So, as I started reading this book, I felt sad for him because of how other kids treat him and how he reflects that on himself and his personality. After reading the back, I became a tad bit interested in the story. But, being me I never like reading books, so as I came across the summer reading list, I wasn’t as excited to see that Wonder was one of the books after seeing it on the news.
    Remember how I was talking earlier about the line, “Don’t judge a boy by his face,” on the back of the book? Well that gave away one of the biggest details about the book.

“When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.” As human beings, we should all be kind but even though in this world that will not happen. One way we can be kind is to just to say hi and good morning, this gives everyone a nice feeling to start the day.

2. Lance.S says:

1. Just becuse he looks different doesn’t meen he is dumb.
    2. yes
    3.alot
    4. Be nice to everyone.

3. Itamar.L says:

1 I think that the line don’t judge a boy from his face is very meaningful. It comes from the saying don’t judge a book by his cover. The author took this saying and gave it a lot more depth.

2 No not particularly. It made the story sound more personal. But what I really loved about this book was that is a bit diary of a wimpy kid. The majority of the book is from the main characters perspective. I also loved how the people telling the story switch off.

3 It gave away that this book was somewhat about something sad, but that made me think that this story was about somebody striving for something. Which it is.

4 Kids get picked on everyday and I am pretty sure that this would relate to them. But since there isn’t bullying at the Mjgds, I don’t know.

4. Elior says:

I think the line don’t judge a boy by his face is very meaningful because it has to do with our schools whole concept of community of kindness. If August went to our school, I don’t think he would be bullied as much because we have a community of kindness. The community of kindness at our school has brought us a long way. Back in third grade, I remember how people were bullying each other left and right. Then in fourth grade, everything changed because the community of kindness kicked in. The whole school started being nice and friendly to each other. When I read that line on the back of the book, it made me want to read it very much because it sounded sad and interesting. The line gave away too much. I already knew what the story was gonna be about. I usually like being surprised by a story so I was not happy about that. This saying can help my everyday because it makes me realize how unlucky other people can be and I would like to help. “When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.” —Dr. Wayne Dyer. I think this saying tells you that you should always be kind to someone even if you know that you are right about something.

5. Sarah C says:

1. I think that this is not only for a boy but for everyone because there are many people that look different. I don’t know what normal really is because everyone looks and acts differently.
    2. I had already known what the book was going to be about but it did make me wonder how bad his face really was.
    3. Not much because it didn’t go into detail.
    4. You have to choose in life so many things about being right or wrong but instead of that you have to choose between being right or being kind. Everyone should choose kind because no one is going to be kind to you if your not kind to them.

6. Jake G. says:

1. It’s like the phrase, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Something may look bad when you first see it, but if you actually use it, then you’ll see that it might not be so bad.
    2. It did, because it made me want to see what the author meant by that line. It caught my attention.
    3. In my opinion, it gave away a little bit because I new something wrong was with the boy. He was going to have to do something where he would have to interact with new people, and he would be bullied and judged incorrectly by his face, just like the quote says.
    4. I could use that phrase by if somebody asks me something like, “Do you like my new shoes,” I could say to them, “They’re great,” or “I’m happy that you’re happy.” I could also not hold grudges against somebody because, even if they did something mean to me, and I have the right to be hostile to them for a few days, I could do the right thing and pretend nothing happened.