Skypportunity with Indonesia… yep, you heard me right!

This was truly awesome–I’ll let the video speak for itself!

STUDENTS:  I want you to share this video with one extended family member or family friend by Tues., Oct 30 and ask them to comment on our blog about what they thought of our Skypportunity.  (Ask for your parents’ help in choosing and contacting someone.)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Skypportunity with Indonesia… yep, you heard me right!

1. avatar Tracy Matus says:

I am a family friend of a student in the 3rd grade class, Allie B. I was excited to see that she is part of this wonderful opportunity to communicate with a family in another country. It was a great idea to have them ask questions of this family and engage with them.

2. avatar robyn shapiro says:

I am Samantha’s savta. I am planning to learn alot more about Indonesia. I am sure that when I was in third grade I had never heard of Indonesia. This is a great project.

3. avatar Nancy says:

Such an amazing opportunity for third grade! We are continually impressed with MJGDS’s efforts to make sure our children are ready for real-world technology, and also that they become aware of the world around them! Bravo to Mr. Carpenter and Ms. Tolisano for the Skypportunities!!

4. How fortunate to have a teacher and a school to provide such opportunities for our children and, in my case, grandchildren!

In the 1850s, Jewish traveller Jacob Saphir was the first to write about the Jewish community in the Dutch East Indies, after visiting Batavia. In Batavia, he had spoken with a local Jew, who had told him of about 20 Jewish families in the city; and several more in Surabaya and Semarang. Most of the Jews living in the Dutch East Indies in the 19th century were Dutch Jews, who worked as merchants or were affiliated with the colonial regime. However, some members of the Jewish community were immigrants from Iraq or Aden.
    Between the two World Wars, the number of Jews in the Dutch East Indies was estimated at 2,000 by Israel Cohen. Indonesian Jews suffered greatly under the Japanese Occupation of Indonesia, but were treated as other non-Asian populations living in occupied territories. They were interned and forced to work in labor camps. After the war, the released Jews found themselves without their previous property, and many emigrated to the United States, Australia or Israel.
    By the late 1960s, it had been estimated that there were 20 Jews living in Jakarta, 25 more living in Surabaya and others living in Manado.

5. avatar Linda Willens says:

I am Gabriel’s grandmother and I am delighted to hear about the exciting learning opportunities available to him at MJGD school. Learning about other religions and cultures is an essential part of understanding the world around us. It is through the open mindedness of children that we have the unique opportunity to achieve a more compassionate and peaceful world. I applaud Mr. Carpenter and Ms. Tolisano for their dedication as teachers and providing such a wonderful project for their students. I also want to thank Gabriel for inviting me to learn more about what transpires in school.

6. avatar Rebecca says:

That was fun to watch!

7. avatar nahilad says:

Dear Mr,Carpenter,
    I loved your video!
    I loved all of the pictures.
    I enjoyed skyping with the teacher in Indonesia.
    It was very fun!
    Nahila 🙂

8. avatar liala says:

Dear Mr.Carpenter
    I had a lot of fun skyping with Indonesia.I like the pictures you took and how you put them together.

🙂 Lial 🙂

9. avatar Mrs. H says:

Dear 3rd Graders,
    Great job learning about different communities. How is it different learning by talking with a person versus reading about a place in a book or watching a movie?
    What was the most interesting thing you learned about Indonesia?
    What other places are on your Skypportunity list?

• avatar samanthal says:

Dear Mrs. H
      I learned a lot about Indonesia, like they speak another language called Bahasa Indonesia.

Samantha 🙂

• avatar abigailf says:

Dear Mrs. H
      The way thats different is that they respond to you questions not like a cartoon. The most interesting thing I learned is that it was night there and daytime here. I do not know but I would love it if we skyped my dad in Las Vegas. I would also love it if we skyped my cousin in Israel.

love,
      Abigail

• avatar liala says:

Dear Mrs. H.
      We got to see how they look and they told us facts. Books can have information that is old.
      I learned that they have a lot of islands.
      We do not know yet for sure whom we are going to skype with.

Lial 🙂

• avatar nahila.d says:

Dear Ms.Hernandez,
      I learned that Indonesia is made up of a lot of islands.
      We have a next skypportunity,but we don’t know yet where and who we are going to skype with.
      I think it was a super-great idea to make a newscast.

Nahila : )

• avatar allieb says:

Dear Mrs. H
      It was really different. I read a book when I was up at the computer.
      The most interesting thing I learned about Indonesia is they have a rainy season.
      That means that during the rainy season it rains a lot. I mean a lot!

Allie 🙂

• avatar jacobl says:

Mrs.H. We don’t know who we are going to Skype with next, but all I know is that it is going to be on November fourteenth two thousand twelve. The most interesting thing I learned from Indonesia is that there are Jewish people there.
      Jake

10. avatar isaz says:

Dear Mr.Carpenter
    I never thought I would talk to Indonesia while I am 8 years old. I loved talking with her, and I hope I will again.

love,